Monday, August 22, 2011

Essential pieces of gear

An indelible moment
My sister's family and I are going to the Uintah National Forest today.  It is an area that leaves a lasting impression. I remember fishing from a particular rock over 25 years ago as a child (I think I could still find it). Moments in nature are indelible. They make a mark, do not ignore the importance of it.

"What should I bring", my sister asked.

We are innately aware the wild can be dangerous. More than one eyebrow has been raised in my direction when I have told them about upcoming family trips. I care about my kids. I care about their safety. Safety = knowledge + gear. I try to come prepared. We get hurt from exposure, dehydration, and accidents. Knowing this, here is a very short list to keep outdoor kids safe and comfortable.

Essential Gear.
1. Rain Gear/Outer Layer
2. Warm Clothing
3. Water Containers

1 comment:

  1. What about Bear repellent? I hear Bears love the taste of little children.

    ReplyDelete